Friday, September 23, 2011

The Lonely Road

I am drawn to them like moths to flame.  I see them, winding off valley floors into hidden canyons and high mountain passes.  Often just barely there, suitable for horse drawn wagon, foot travel or a good bike, they seem to ring back through time with the sounds of jangling team harnesses, mining rigs, lumberjacks.

Lonely roads.  They inspire me and intrigue me.  I want to go there, wherever 'there' is.  Let them take me on a journey that few others bother with now in our modern and fast paced lives.  Sadly, I am all too often one of those hamsters on the spinning wheel of life.  Lonely roads require time and a conscious disconnect from the tyranny of the urgent.

We need lonely roads and unseen places that call to us, if not in our lives, at least in our imaginations.




No comments: