Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Fish Scales of Justice

I went over to Wally Mart and picked up one the worlds most accurate digital fish scales (says so on the package, and packages, like the internet, do not lie). With this, I plan to weigh things. I may even weigh a fish someday, but for now, I have been weighing bike stuff.

I have always used my bathroom scale. I mean, I am no weight weenie, so it was close enough, but now that I am writing more of the public stuff and testing things, etc, I guess jumping on a scale with a bike in my arms is a bit too Jerry Springer / trailer park level.

So, some weights for posterity:

The Lev 3.0 28 lbs 3 oz

The KM as SS 27 lbs 2 oz

DiSSent frame no seat collar 4 lbs 12 oz

Bare KM frame w/collar 5 lbs 11 oz

RST M29 fork w/crown race 4 lbs 9 oz

Lately I have been around some really light bikes. The S Works Stumpjumper Carbon at 21#s or so, a Bianchi Sok SS that was blinged out at 20.5 lbs, and today a Niner Air 9 at 18.5 lbs. Mercy. The DiSSent will end up lighter than the SS Monkey was. 3/4 of a pound will come off of the frame. The Thudbuster seatpost will go, the bars may get heavier, the wheels will eventually be lighter, the brakes will be a bit heavier, the fork could change, etc, so it may take a while for it to get all built the way I want it and settle down to a fighting weight.

Then, I will grab the fish scale and see what it reads. I know it will not be that light, not enough $$ to toss at it and that is OK. Someday I will put together a very nice SS that will cost 3 times what this one will, but not today or tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be too busy riding what I have now to worry about a few 100 grams. After all, I don't want to get all caught up in weight weenie land...better to have stayed with the bathroom scale and blissful ignorance.

Oh, I have to go. Jerry is on and the old trailer park will never be the same.

No comments: