Saturday, July 5, 2008

Vacation Part 2: Tahoe on a hazy day.

Smoke, baby, smoke. Second hand smoke of the BIG kind from all the lightning fires that began while we were on vacation. The drive up from Sacramento was brown and stinky and Tahoe was so hazy, you could barely see one shore from the other.

So, we cut short our time there, but not before I rode a classic of all classics in Tahoe, the Flume Trail.

I began at Spooner Lake and visisted the bike shop there owned by Max Jones. I also learned of the history of how Max's vision led to the Flume Trail being reclaimed for bikes. Bully, Max. Very cool.

I popped for the $12.50 shuttle ride back from the trail's end since the family was waiting for me at Spooner, packed up my kit bag, and headed out in search of a great ride. Turns out I found it.



The ride and climb up to Marlette Lake is not too bad. The four or so miles are so beautiful, it makes it tolerable that you are climbing with no oxygen in the air. Nearly 8000' baby. I found lots of excuses to stop and take pics.







At Marlette lake, I found the trailhead after snapping a pic or two. The trail is very easy to find, all signed and all. If not, just follow the bike tracks.




Then, as I rounded the corner at the top of the lake, a real surprise.




We had hoped to see a bear the whole time we were in Kings Cyn National Park, but no. And here he...or she...was. Cool.

On to the trail. It flows and dances along the edge of the hillside, requiring constant pedaling and rewarding a smooth hand at the tiller in the looser granite soil. It was nirvana to an XC geek like me. Notice the fish in that pic? Big fish in a little pool for sure, hangin out trailside, worried about bears no doubt.






All too soon it was over and I dropped down the fireroad to await the shuttle. If I had known what it was like, I would have just turned around and ridden it back to Spooner, but the family was expecting me on the shuttle. It took me about 20 minutes under two hours including flower and bear pics.

1 comment:

FlipFlop Mom said...

WOW.. those pictures are AMAZING!! and the BEAR!! HOW COOL!! I'm jealous!! Ü Looks like a GREAT time!!!