Sunday, May 11, 2008

Traditions.

Way back in the day, before I had even heard of Endurance Racing, I am sure that lots of folks were doing long rides on mtn bikes, like multi-hour stuff. But to us, 2 hrs was a typical ride so a 5 hour day in the saddle was pushing it. I envisioned a ride spanning a local section of forest, layed out the route, and invited some folks. I did not know how long it was for sure, I figured between 40 and 50 miles. Hence, the '40 Something' ride was born. We did that every year for a few years, then stopped. It was always hard especially the sandy climbs at hour 5 just before the last, long downhill finish.

So now, likely 10 years since the last one, I am resurrecting the ride. Gonna be great.



Looks like a small group, mostly newcomers. This time I will bring a GPS and Topofusion will spell out the stats, so I may have to rename it. Or not.

Anyway, even though it pales in comparison to the 100s and ultra 24s that riders do these days, it has history and tradition going for it. The only thing is, I think it needs to be longer. Now there is a thought!

No comments: